It is in the middle of the farming area, between the 17 and 18 kilometre signposts of the Sur Highway.
It is the largest and most important
Mayan complex of the island. It has 6 architectonic units that might
have been temples and public palaces, which were interconnected
by the sacbeob or the Mayan roads.
It has a three kilometre extension and 508 structures for domestic use, where Las Manitas (The Little Hands, baptized after the numerous handprints stamped on its interior walls), The Alamo, The Murals, The Palace, The Ossuary and The Pillars, main buildings and temples of this Mayan city, stand out.
It is believed that during the Classical Period (300 to 900 D.C.),
when the priests had much influence in the Mayan world, Cozumel
was one of the most important religious centres of the region, perhaps
for being the home of the goddess of fertility, a condition that
remained until 1518, the year in which the Spaniards led by Juan
de Grijalva disembarked on the island.
The original name of the complex has not been determined so far. But the name of San Gervasio was imposed in the XX century for it was located on the lands of a rancher named Gervasio.
It is located seven kilometres east of San Miguel de Cozumel
- Museum of the Island of Cozumel:
Its four halls
are a must for visitors, showing through dioramas, sculptures, maps
and other elements of great cultural value, the historic evolution
of the island from the beginnings of the Mayan civilization up to
our days, besides the multiple varieties of its flora and fauna.
Its room of photographs, its windows showing samples of corals, as well as the replica of a traditional Mayan house, are of great interest. The site of the museum is a XIX century building, located at the Rafael Melgar Avenue, between the 4 and 6 North streets.