-Photography Museum El Castillito
This museum, which was inaugurated in 1986, exhibits part of the history and urban development of the city of Cuernavaca (from the beginning of the XIX century until our days) through photographic images that "portraits" the main attractions of the city. (Most of the photos are from the XIX century). You can also appraise furniture of the Porfirista era, that is to say, of the time of the Porfirio Díaz presidential government (1876-1911).
Its seat is a nice French style building with an appearance of a medieval castle, edified in 1903 with a compressed partition wall, a material that is elaborated in Cuernavaca. At first it was design to house the keeper of the Álvaro Obregón Park and the Porfirio Díaz Bridge.
The little castle (castillito) was abandoned when the Mexican Revolution started and keeps that condition until the 30s. The, the Governor, Vicente Estrada decided to restore the installations, to be occupied from there on by the Manager of Parks and Reforestation Program, which happen to be his son. Unfortunately during that period, the construction suffered great damage.
In October of 1986 the Town Council of Cuernavaca
decided to recuperate it. Today, besides being a museum, is the
seat of the Municipal Consulting Council. It is located on 1 Agustín
Guemes Celis Street, in the Historic Centre of Cuernavaca
-El Chapitel Del Calvario
El Chapitel is a small temple constructed in 1538, to pay cult to the venerable Virgin of Guadalupe. For its architectural characteristics, is one of the few plateresque constructions that exist in Cuernavaca.
The Chapitel was erected over the Plazuela of Cortés that in the time of the colony was a crossroad, where -it is believed- Martín Cortés, the son of the conqueror Hernán Cortés, was buried.
In those times the travellers stop their journey to pray and entrust themselves to the Virgin of Guadalupe, also known as The Black Virgin. These are the reason why the temple was known by the name of the Eremite or the Calvary (Ermita o Humilladero).
Every year, on the 12th of December, the appearance of The Virgin of Guadalupe to the Indian Juan Diego -occurred in 1531- is celebrated, with masses, serenades and fairs. Here you will find all kinds of the Mexican snacks (antojitos), mariachis and choirs.
The Chapitel is located in the junction of the Morelos Avenue and the Agustín Guemes Celis Street, in the Historic Centre of Cuernavaca.
-Etno-botanic Garden or the Olindo House
Is one of the most important centres of investigation of traditional medicine in Latin America. Its installations shelter near 300 curative plants, next to 200 varieties of orchids.
Its seat is the traditional Casa del Olindo, a colourful property that once was own by the emperor Maximiliano of Habsburg, who -so says the gossip- order the construction of a building with neoclassic architecture on the rear of his residence to house his mistress, who was known as India Bonita, the Beautiful Indian.
At present, the house and its fabulous garden of 4 hectares are the installations and exhibit rooms of The Etnobotanic Garden and the Museum of Traditional Medicine and Herbs of the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH). It is located on 4 Matamoros, Acapantzingo colony, Cuernavaca.
-Atelier-Museum Alfaro Siqueiros (La Tallera)
This was one of the prime ateliers of the famous painter David Alfaro Siqueiros. Here the artist created a series of murals intended for a grant project that ended truncated, so the pictorial advances were taken to the Poliforum Cultural Siqueiros, in World Trade Centre of the city of Mexico.
La Tallera occupies an area of 500 square metres. Next to it is the reputed muralist's home, who lived in Cuernavaca from the middle of the 60's until his death on January 6, 1974.
In Cuernavaca, Siqueiros founded the first school-atelier of mural painting in the world; with apprentices instead of students and painters instead of teachers. In other words, he created and experimental space with machines, scaffolds and material to work in abundance.
After the death of the artist, La Tallera was kept open until 1986, being administrated by his brother in law. In 1995 the doors of the atelier were reopen, but this time like a museum with the pictorial and sculptural work of Siqueiros -some of them unfinished- and the mechanical installations that he used on the elaboration of his work. It is also possible to visit the artist's home.
La Tallera is located on 52 Venus Street, Jardines colony, Cuernavaca.
-Chapultepec Park or the Magic Jungle
Many endanger species find refuge in this interesting recreational centre. In the Park Chapultepec many scientific-educational activities orientated to foment, in a fun way, the protection of the environment are accomplish.
The origin of this Park remounts to 1968 when 60 hectares in the zone of Chapultepec were enable to create a recreating park. The park has been modified in several occasions along the years.
The park has an environmental interactive museum, an aviary, a serpentarium, an interesting planetarium, an aquarium with endemic species of Mexico, an artificial lake and innumerable amusement plays for children.
It is located on 27 Bajada de Chapultepec, Chapultepec colony, Cuernavaca
-The Twin Temples of Teopanzolco
At the times of the tlahuicas it used to be a very important ceremonial centre. The archaeological site is form by two precincts of religious character, very similar to the main temple of Tenochtitlan, not only because of the constructive style, but, also, because they were erected to pay cult to Huitzilopochtli (War God) and to Tláloc (Rain God)
Located on the summit of a mountain, its name can be translated as "in the old temple". It was built between the years 1150 and 1350AD, being one of the most important compounds of the lordship of the Cuauhnahuac (pre-Hispanic name of Cuernavaca). In the XV century the structure of the temples was modified by the mexicas.
The zone was abandoned because of unknown reasons during the Late Aztecan period (1350 to 1521AD). The temples were "rediscover" during the Mexican Revolution; when, in 1910, the troops of Emiliano Zapata place their artillery over a mount in order to bombard the centre of Cuernavaca. The attack was so violent and thunderous that it unearthed the fabulous walls of the temple.
Until now, it has been possible to identified 14 structures: plazas, small altars in honour of minor gods like Ehécatl (god of the wind), and enclosures where human scarifies took place, located around the two main temples.
These temples are located to the North of Cuernavaca
on the Rio Mayo Street, corner with Ixcateopan, colony of Villa