This monumental stronghold of Catholic Faith has a baroque styled façade. There is an iron cross cast in Spain over its cornice, along with the balconies on the western tower and the railings of the main altar.
The side hallways of the Cathedral were built between 1764 and 1775 with a churrigueresque style. In its interior, the Temple treasures some priceless pieces of art, as the benches made in 1715, with its 57 carved wood chairs and gilded with gold leaves. There is also a board with 33 sculptures depicting the saints of the church.
Another delightful piece is the sculpture of the Purísima Concepción, carved from a single piece of ivory. It is believed that it came from the Philippine Islands and that it was elaborate in 1764. The Cathedral is situated in the 20 de Noviembre Avenue (no number) across the Main Square. Open all days between 9:00 am and 7:00 pm.
(Palacio Escárzaga) - City
Hall, in the late 19th century, Pedro Escárzaga Correl, one of the
most powerful miners and traders of the region, decided to invest
a small part of his fortune in the construction of a casona (old
mansion) to match his overwhelming wealth, in order of which he
hired the prestigious engineer Estanislao V. Slonecki who had previously
designed several of the most emblematic building for the government
of Porfirio Díaz (1876 to 1911), a president who was adamant in
bestowing an European air to the cities of the Country.
The outcome of so an ambitious project was the fabulous Palacio
Escárzaga, a sober and majestic construction, with the likes of
an old French hotel. Its outside walls are made of whitewash and
plaster, but its interior is a perfect combination of stone and
adobe. This glamorous mansion is accessed through a huge lifting
iron door, the only one of its kind in Durango
In the year of 1917 the northern wing of the Palace was demolished, in order of attaining a better alignment with the 20 de Noviembre Street. Nowadays, this area shows a different architecture than that of the rest of its monumental areas.
Some years later, in 1930, the property was handled to the City
Hall, thus transforming its luxurious halls into the offices of
the municipal assembly. Under the administration of the commune,
a slight restoration was made, and in 1954, the elaboration of a
three bodied mural befell on the hands of the artist of Durango
Francisco Montoya de la Cruz, which will depict the history of the
The Palace is located in the Historical Centre, at one block distance
from the Cathedral. It can be visited between 8:00 am and 8:00 pm,
and if the tour happens to be on Friday morning, you will be able
to attend to a public session of the City Council of Durango