The objects on exhibition have especial characteristics that reveal their precedence. The pottery painted in red and black is from Jalisco, the famous fat dogs and the anthropomorphic figures of the hunchbacks are from Colima, whilst Nayarit stands out for its plates decorated with white, red and orange paintings.
889, 16 de Septiembre Avenue, between Independencia and Campesino Streets, Guadalajara.
Tuesdays to Sundays from 10:00 hours till 14:00 hours and from 16:30 till 19:00 hours.
It was inaugurated in February of 1992 during the celebrations for the 450th anniversary of the foundation of Guadalajara. The Museum hosts a series of samples that reflect the history of the City since its origins in the XVI century.
It has 8 rooms distributed on two levels on which pictures, objects and documents related to the historical, urban, ethnographical and artistic development of the City are exposed.
Its seat is an old ranch from the XVIII century that was part of the Convent of the Cappuccino nuns. Later it would be used for other ends until it was acquired by Guadalajara's City Hall in 1991. This institution has been in charge of its restoration and adaptation.
684 Independencia Street, between Mariano Bárcenas and Contreras Medellín Streets, in downtown Guadalajara.
(52-33) 3658-2537 / 3658-3706
Tuesdays to Sundays from 10:00 hours till 17:00 hours.
Museum of the Arts:
It is the pride of the University of Guadalajara and has five rooms exhibiting a variegated collection of contemporary paintings and sculptures, excel artworks created by national and international artists. Besides, it has a permanent space reserved for exhibiting contemporary art from Jalisco.
Amongst its most valuable works there are two notable murals by José Clemente Orozco, realised in 1937, standing out. Both embellish the interior of the magna lecture room of this prestigious house of studies.
Its seat is an old building of French renaissance style dating back to 1914. Two years later it would be donated to the University of Guadalajara. There would work the dean's offices and the gallery of deans until the year 1994, year in which academic authorities decided to arrange it for a museum in order to spread and promote the fine arts in all of their manifestations.
975 Juarez Avenue, Colony Centro in Guadalajara.
(52-33) 3134-1664 / 3826-9183
Tuesdays to Fridays from 10:00 hours till 18:00 hours. Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 hours till 18:00 hours.
Museum of Palaeontology of Guadalajara:
It is considered to be the best in Mexico on the topic of its specialty. It was inaugurated in February of the year 2000 and treasures a varied collection of fossils from the mammals that inhabited Mexico's western region thousands of years ago.
The Museum has seven sections with permanent exhibitions of fossils from the Pleistocene, with fragments of antelopes, horses, dogs, sabre tooth tigers and mammoths, amongst other mammals. It also exhibits vestiges of the first settlers of Mexico's western region.
It has spaces for temporary shows related to natural sciences too.
520 Dr. R. Michel Avenue, Colony San Carlos, Guadalajara.
(52-33) 3619-5548 / 3619-6576
Tuesdays to Saturdays from 10:00 hours till 18:00 hours, and Sundays from 11:00 hours till 18:00 hours.
adults 12.00 pesos, children 8.00 pesos, accredited students 7.00 pesos and school students 4.00 pesos.
It presents an amazing collection of more than 150 wax figures representing renowned historical, political and showbiz' characters. The images have a chilling realism that is accentuated with an excellent environmental work of sound and lights.
The Museum was initially inaugurated in 1994 in an old art nouveau and Bauhaus styled palace on Libertad Street, although it would be moved downtown to Morelos Street in 1997. Ripley's Museum, which exhibits peculiar and incredible objects, is adjacent to its current location.
217 Morelos, Colony Centro in Guadalajara.
Mondays to Sundays from 11:00 till 20:00 hours.
adults 25.00 pesos, students and teachers 15.00 pesos.
Trompo Mágico (Magic Top) Museum:
It presents a singular proposal for children and teenagers, with contemplative and interactive areas that link last-generation technological elements with teaching and educational concepts, turning its exhibitions into dynamic, flexible and playful spaces that allow learning while having fun.
It was conceived by architect Javier Diaz Reynoso and currently Trompo Mágico, inaugurated in April of 2003, is considered one of the best museums for children in the world, due to its thematic proposal and the peculiarity of its exhibitions, unique in Mexico and Latin America.
The layout of the Museum is circular and it has just one level, which is surrounded by immense green areas. It occupies 12 thousand hectares in Zapopan, a Community nearby Guadalajara.
750 Central Avenue, Colony Fraccionamiento, Residencial Poniente, Zapopan.
(52-33) 3836-0555 / 3836-0558
Tuesdays to Fridays from 9:00 hours till 18:00 hours, and Saturdays, Sundays and holydays from 11:00 hours till 19:00 hours.
adults 40.00 pesos; children, students and teachers with credential 25.00 pesos. Groups of more than 20 individuals (previous reservation) pay 25.00 pesos. Some exhibitions and especial activities have an additional cost.