Can I feel safe in the City of Guadalajara?
is a peaceful City that seeks to become the safest in Mexico. Personnel of the Secretariat of Public Security provide protection in here. In any case, take some precautions in order to totally enjoy your stay in the Capital of the State of Jalisco:
What should I do in case of an emergency?
- Mind your luggage at all times in the airport and do not accept errands or packages from people you do not know.
- Keep your wallet in a safe place and carry only the money you need for the day, and no more than one credit card. It is also recommendable to carry a photocopy of your passport with you.
- Do not wear too much jewellery for they could be a lure for assailants, you may rather leave them in the hotel's safety box. Do not neglect your purse either.
- Be extremely careful with your photo and video cameras. It is advisable not to show them all the time and to avoid using them in seemingly unsafe places. Do not take too long shooting either, and put them back in their bags or cases right after using them.
- If you need to take a taxi, try with the units parked at the doors of the hotels and tourist centres, especially at night.
- Avoid walking along solitary places, and always try to do it with somebody else, especially at night.
- Avoid going by yourself to withdraw money from an ATM. If you notice any weird device or that any of the slots have been tampered with, abort the operation.
- Avoid drinking alcohol in the streets for your own safety. On the other hand, never carry illegal substances with you; Mexican police are very strict regarding these cases.
It is recommendable to call the following numbers depending on the kind of emergency you are facing: Emergency (066); Air and Land Ambulance (52-33) 3616-9616; Green Angels or Road Assistance (52-33) 3668-1800 extension 31489; Municipal Anti Rabies Centre of Guadalajara (52-33) 3643-1917 or 3644-6206; Fire Fighters (52-33) 3619-5155 or 3619-0510; Guadalajara Amber Cross (52-33) 3605-0092; Mexican Red Cross 065 or (52-33) 3345-7777; Green Cross (52-33) 3614-5252 or 3613-1572; Municipal Police of Guadalajara (52-33) 3668-0800; and Safety for Tourists 01 800 36 32 200.
You can also get in contact with the embassy or consulate of your country of origin.