-Temple of San Diego:
It is a classical example
of Mexican application of the style of Spanish architect Churriguera.
Its construction began in 1667; although, due to a series of floods
that caused grave destructions in the city, it could only be inaugurated
It presents a façade of two bodies and it was initially the Convent of San Pedro. It is located a block away from the Garden of the Union, on the crossing with Sopeña Street.
It is a semi-triangular park surrounded
by very elegant buildings.
There is a beautiful sculpture by artist
Jesus Contreras that has the name of Monument to Peace. It was inaugurated
on October the 27th of 1903
by President Porfirio Diaz.
The plaza and its neighbouring areas have been witnesses of relevant historic events, amongst them the proclamation of the city as capital of the republic by President Porfirio Diaz in 1858.
-Basilica of Our Lady of Guanajuato:
It is one
of the top representations of
religious architecture in the city.
Its overloaded façade and the profuse ornamentation of its belfries
and church towers are excellent samples of baroque style.
The arches provided with rosette windows stand out in its interior, which has
the shape of a Latin Cross, while the atrium, elaborated between the XVIII and XIX centuries, presents attractive neoclassical features.
The basilica built between the years 1671 and 1696, houses the image of Our Lady of the Rosary of Guanajuato, which was a gift of King Philip the II of Spain to acknowledge the huge richness provided to the crown by the mines of the region; She is currently the patron of the city.
It is situated in the Peace Plaza, unnumbered.
-Temple of the Company of Jesus:
it is the largest
church in the city and one of
the most representative buildings
that the Jesuit Order built in Mexico. The works began in the mid
XVIII century thanks to the generous donation of a group of local
Its style is that of Spanish architect Churriguera, with a dazzling façade made of pink stones that complements with a flashy dome built in the mid XIX century.
Its interior, with three naves and altars of neoclassical style, is rather simple but holds a valuable collection of paintings from the XVIII century and important canvases by Miguel Cabrera.
It is located between Sol Street and the Plaza of the Company.
It is a splendid building
from the beginning of the XIX century; with several carvings in
green, pink and purple stones standing out in its façade of neoclassical
style. Its interior, where its suites of refined woodworks, its
lavish drapes and several paintings of important Mexican heroes
stand out, shows clear influences of art nouveau.
It was inaugurated by President Porfirio Diaz in October of 1903, becoming the seat of the three powers of the state during the first half of the XX century. Currently it only houses the legislative of Guanajuato and is also known as the Custom-Palace or Consistorial Houses.
It is located in the Peace Plaza, beside the mansion of the Earl of Rul, where the ranch of the marquis of San Clemente once was.
Mansion of the Earls of Rul and Valenciana:
was built in the XVIII century and belonged to the Earl of Rul,
one of the proprietors of La Valenciana mine, who commissioned the
works to architect Francisco Eduardo Tresguerras.
The building, a notable example of Mexican neoclassical architecture, has two levels and its façade is covered with pink quarry stones. It is currently the seat of the College Tribunal of the Sixteenth Circuit, located in the Peace Plaza.