-Mine of Rayas:
It was the first mine in Guanajuato, discovered
by drover Juan Rayas in 1550, although it was Jose de Sardineta
y Legaspi, its third proprietor, who fully exploited its riches.
The deposit is 400 metres deep being the deepest in the world during
The remains of the main temple commissioned by the first marquis of Rayas are nearby the mine.
-San Miguel de Allende:
Facades of pink stones,
red tiles covering the roofs and sidewalks going
up and down, are some of the of details that replicate in a city
that was declared National Patrimony in 1926, due to its historical
and monumental value, and for its fondness for tradition.
This city of colonial roots was founded in 1542 by Franciscan Juan de San Miguel, who named it San Miguel el Grande, a denomination that was changed to San Miguel de Allende in order to pay homage to Captain Ignacio de Allende, hero of the fight for independence.
Its original architecture is explained due to the prosperity of miners and ranchers alike,
who commissioned the construction of sumptuous mansions and palaces in order to live like kings. They also promoted the construction of magnificent temples for the purpose of saving their souls and getting into good graces with God.
San Miguel de Allende is currently a refuge for artists, both national and foreigners, who find more than inspiration in its streets. It is located 94 kilometres away from Guanajuato
, at an altitude of 1870 metres above sea level.
Amongst its architectonic beauties we have the Parish of San Miguel Archangel
of gothic style and from the XVII century; the Allende Institute
, one of the main artistic centres of the city, whose seat was built in the XVIII century being the Earl of Canal its first owner; and the Monastery of The Conception and its huge dome that is currently the Cultural Centre of Fine Arts
, also called The Necromancer.
Besides, there is the interesting San Miguel de Allende Historic Museum in the former house of Captain Ignacio de Allende.
It is a simple town of colonial
roots famous for having been the scenario of the "Cry of Dolores"
on September the 16th of 1810, an event that set out the fight for
independence, led by father Miguel Hidalgo.
Story goes that in the morning of the said day father Hidalgo tolled the bells of the church (he was the town's priest) to summon the neighbours. Then he would give a speech in favour of the independence that would end with the cry: "Death to the Gachupines (Spaniards)!"
Ten months later father Hidalgo, turned into the leader of the emancipating struggle, was captured and the authorities condemned him to death, being later executed in Chihuahua.
It is located at 40 kilometres from San Miguel de Allende, and at 54 kilometres from Guanajuato, the state capital.
Amongst its main attractions we have:
- House and Museum of Don Miguel Hidalgo: it is a colonial edifice built in 1779 that was the home of the leader of the emancipating struggle, Miguel Hidalgo. Valuable objects,
suites and documents from the independence period are on exibition.
- Museum of the Independence: it was the prison that
father Miguel Hidalgo stormed on September the 16th of 1810
in order to free the prisoners; it was built in the XVIII century.
Likewise, the parish of Our Lady of Dolores, in the style of
Spanish architect Churriguera, where father Hidalgo pronounced
his historical cry, stands out.
It is a welcoming city of colonial features that was
October the 12th of 1570 with the name of Town of the
Most Pure Conception of Zalaya. It is renowned for its exquisite
cajetas, sweets made of milk with an unmatchable taste. It is located
109 kilometres away from Guanajuato, the state capital.
The most delicious strawberries in Mexico
are harvested in this picturesque and charming city, surged in the
times of conquistador Hernan Cortes. It is situated 48 kilometres
south of Guanajuato.
It was founded on January the 20th of 1576
by command of Viceroy
Martin Enriquez de Almanza, in order to turn
it into a defensive stronghold against the attacks of the Chichimec
Indians. In the current city, known as the "Pearl of the Lowland"
coexist architectonic colonial jewels with modern buildings and
vigorous industrial centres, specialised on the production of shoes
Amongst its Hispanic legacy, the Cathedral from the XVIII century and the Expiatory Temple, with its singular bronze door, jut out. It is located at 56 kilometres from Guanajuato.