It is a zone of climatic transition
- between coldness and warmth - where our pre-Hispanic ancestors
raised pyramids and a central plaza between the years 450 and 900
AC, archaeological vestiges that call our attention for being the
palpable traces of the Mesoamerican cultural development.
The archaeological zone of Tingambato is located 35 kilometres west of Patzcuaro, and it presents a clear Teotihuacan influence. It has clearly been occupied twice on different time periods, and there is consensus about this.
During the first period the terrain was levelled and the ceremonial centre was partially raised, while during the second one (from 600 to 900 AC) the pyramidal buildings and the central plaza were built. It is believed that the place was abandoned after a fire.
On the other hand, there is a controversy regarding its name. There are those who say that it should be traduced as "Hill of Mild Weather"; however, there are other versions that indicate that its name comes from the word tinganio, a word from the Tarasca language meaning "Place where the Fire Ends".
It was the capital City of the Purepacha
Empire, and it has an approximate extension of seven kilometres
with constructions known as yácatas, which mix rectangular and circular
areas on a great platform. Studies have determined that Tzintzuntzan
(Place of the Hummingbird) was a great urban complex between the
years 1200 and 1521 AC, when the Purepachas ruled over the area.
It had temples, dwelling buildings for the nobility and the common
people, who were dedicated to agriculture and the production of
Later Tzintzuntzan would become the last stronghold of the Purepacha (Tarasca) resistance against the advance of the Spanish troops.