-Temple of the Company:
It is a splendid construction
that blends grey quarry stones and plaster on its structure. It
was designed by José Miguel de Santa Maria, and due to its proportions,
it is one of the biggest architectonic works of the XVIII century
in Puebla. The exact date on which the works began is unknown; however,
it is known that they ended in 1767. Since then its imposing and
fulsome two-body façade of eclectic decorative features is part
of the City's urban semblance.
Its processional naves, its main altar with a sculpture of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and its sacristy, which contains a collection of high quality religious canvases, jut out on the inside.
Likewise, it keeps the remains of Catarina of San Juan, known as China Poblana, a singular character that is believed to have come from Asia in the XVIII century to work as a servant.
The Church is located on Maximino Avila Camacho Avenue, on the crossing with 4 Sur Street.
-Convent of Santa Catalina:
It is the oldest in
Puebla and the first one the Dominican nuns had in all of New Spain.
The date the original construction started is unknown, though it
is known that it had to go through several work phases, including
a series of refurbishing processes.
The Convent, finished in 1750, has a plain façade with two sober doorways. Its brick and glazed tiled belfry typical of Puebla's architecture stands out. Valuable baroque altarpieces and its main altar of neoclassical style stand out on the inside.
It is situated on 201, 3 Norte Street.
-Former Convent of Santa Rosa
(Museum of Popular
Art): The nuns tried to live isolated from the world and its temptations
in its cloisters. Their existence was consecrated to prayer and
mysticism, on a tenacious and persistent, some times even painful,
struggle to find the ways that lead to God's Kingdom.
Secluded voluntarily or by their parents' "pious" decision, these women lived a monastic life where they never abandoned the cloisters, not even after their death because the Convent had its own cemetery.
The Convent was inaugurated in 1740. Its architectonic style fits with Puebla's stylistic features. The entrance quarters, the Profundis room, two refectories, a cloister, and a parlour of large dimension that was used for decades as a confessionary, chapel and sacristy, stand out amongst its ambiences.
Another room of great importance was the kitchen of Santa Rosa, which was covered with glazed tiles. It is conjectured that the nuns, perhaps guided by the divine hand, created the traditional mole poblano de guajalote, one of the top expressions of Mexico's baroque gastronomy, on these kitchen ranges.
In 1859, the Reform laws (1855-1861) forced the Convent to close, rather open its doors. Later it would become the Hospital of San Roque for the mentally ill, and a General Hospital at the beginning of the XX century.
Currently the old cloisters are the exhibition rooms of the State's Museum. The initiative surged in 1973 and since then the most excel expressions of Puebla's popular art are exhibited in it.
It is located on 301, 14 Poniente Street.
-Former Convent of Santa Monica:
and hidden passages configure this singular religious precinct,
in which dozens of nuns lived in a clandestine manner for more than
70 years to escape the anticlerical laws passed by the government
of the Reform (1855-1861). They were discovered in 1934 only and
then the Convent was dislodged.
The religious compound presents a façade of simple features that contrasts with the baroque details of its entrance, which combines the glazed tiles with the bricks. Some Moor features can also be noticed.
Currently the cloisters are seat of the Museum of Religious Art, and an important collection of painting and sculptures, coming from the Convents of Santa Catalina and the Capuchins, are exhibited in its rooms. Likewise, one can learn details concerning the clandestine lives of the "serfs of God" in here.
It is situated on 103, 18 Poniente Street.