The origin of the temple dates back to the simple Church of the Asuncion that began to be built in 1535. Years later, when the State of Chiapas was upgraded to the rank of dioceses, it would be given the name of Cathedral of San Cristóbal Martyr.
It was due to this reason that the current temple would began to be built in the XVII century, being its façade completed by 1721, and the rest of the complex structure, as unbelievable as it may seem, by the early XX century, which would explain the predominance of the baroque with details of neoclassical style.
Since the very beginning the construction was under the supervision of the Dominicans, religious Order led by Fray Bartolomé de las Casas, natural of Salamanca, who was one of the most energetic defenders of the native population in those times.
The Cathedral is located in 31 de Marzo Major Plaza.