-Church of the Saint Christ of the Good Voyage:
In the XVII century it was a modest chapel that welcomed the Mulatto
fishermen of the Tenoya River. With the passing of the years its
fame extended and travellers who were about to leave the City began
visiting it; in spite of this the local authorities tried to demolish
it in more than one occasion, because they considered it an obstruction
to the firepower of the bulwark of Santiago (the cannonballs used
to hit its walls).
For a short period the temple was dismantled and abandoned but the pressure of the devotees - specially the travellers - forced the Town Council to rebuilt it and enlarge it in 1807.
It is located between Manuel Doblado and General Prim Streets. A superb statue of Pope John Paul the 2nd catches the attention of visitors nowadays.
-Colonel Manuel Gutierrez Zamora City Museum:
was inaugurated on November the 25th of 1970 as part of the celebrations
for the 450 years of Villa Rica de la Vera Cruz' foundation. The
objective of the Museum is to collect, restore, conserve and exhibit
the pieces and elements of historic, artistic and cultural interest
reflecting the evolution of the City.
Its seat is an old house of neoclassical style built between 1852 and 1861 to work as a hospice. The building presents a façade of baroque influence, with fenestrations and the spaces in between crowned with eaves of corbels and cornices. An enormous doorway framed by Ionic pillars stand out on its ground floor, while one must pay attention to its central balconies on its second floor.
Since its creation, the Museum and its installations have undergone several restoration processes. The most important was in the year 2000, when a comprehensive rehabilitation and a noticeable modernisation took place, improving its containments.
Beyond its architectonic merits, the Museum attracts for the richness of its eight rooms, five permanent and three temporary. In the first ones the most relevant aspects of the City's history, from the arrival of the Spaniards until the independence, is explained through images, objects, documents and diverse material.
All these detail are complemented with a flashy collection of archaeological pieces of the Totonaca and Olmeca Cultures found in the area. Another spot of much interest is the Central Patio, where amongst other cultural activities, plays are staged and recitals and concerts performed.
It is located on 397 Zaragoza Avenue, corner with E. Morales, Colonia Centro.
-Naval Historical Museum:
The Secretariat of Mexico's
Naval Force created it with the purpose of presenting and spreading
the fascinating naval history of the port. Its inauguration on July
the 1st of 1997 coincided with the centennial of the Naval Military
Heroic School. The Museum occupies the premises of the first seat
of the School, which offers an interesting historic addition to
its 11 permanent rooms showing navigation tools, ancient weapons
and scale models of Mexico's warships.
It also has a temporary exhibition room, a library and an auditorium. It is located on 418 Arista Street, corner with Gómez Farías.
-Beaches in Veracruz:
Bathed by the marine warmth
of the Gulf of Mexico, the coasts in Veracruz
prodigal beaches with fine mantles of sand and moderate and calm
currents, conditions that turn them into pleasant refuges of solace
The beach resorts of Costa de Oro, perfect for children, Villa del Mar, Mocambo, Hornos, and Regatas, amongst others, compose this refreshing rosary. They all have services that will make your stay even better.
-Island of Sacrifices:
- Villa del Mar: With calm waters and abundant palm
trees. It has dressing rooms and showers. It is located on Avila
Camacho Boulevard, at 2 kilometres from the City centre.
- Mocambo: It is one of the most appreciated zones
in Veracruz due to its gentle surf, its delicate sand and the
great quality of its tourist services, especially in its exclusive
hotels. Besides cooling in its waters, it is possible to take
a ride on a motorboat, or on the back of a horse along the shore.
It is 5 kilometres away from Veracruz.
Its name evokes the religious ceremonies
that the pre-Hispanic people developed on this portion of land,
surrounded by transparent waters and exotic coral banks.
The archaeological excavations realised in the zone have confirmed the performance of such religious rites, when vestiges of burials and Totonaca temple bases were discovered. But with the arrival of the Spaniards the Island became a repair yard for colonial ships.
Later, during the so-called War of the Pastry in 1838 (first war conflict with France), it was the point of origin of the Gallic attacks. Years later the zone would be occupied by US troops, which invaded Mexico twice.
The Island of Sacrifices is the most important of those standing before Veracruz. Nowadays, an enormous and modern lighthouse has been "sowed" in its "face of fine sands" to guide the ships heading to the port.
It is known as the "Streetcar
of Remembrance" because its three lines still keep some of the original
essence of this public means of transportation, much in use by the
late XIX and the early XX centuries.
Contrary to the longed for electric streetcars made of wood, the
current ones are made of truck bodies and work on gasoline. In spite
of this the trip is a tour to nostalgia along the main avenues in
, provided with beautiful landscapes and
wrapped with the refreshing marine breeze.
To board this means of transportation come to the Historic Centre Station, on 66 Juarez Avenue. Here you will find a tourist information booth, a library, an art gallery and a well-provided cafeteria.
-Historic Archives and Library:
It is part of
the historic memory of Veracruz, a place that guards and rescues
its bibliographical and documentary roots, since the early years
of the XVII century to the mid XX century.
Its seat is a splendid and refurbished three-storey colonial house, known as Patio Vergara or House of the Duchess. The house is considered as an ideal model of dwelling architecture of the XVIII century, because it performed a double function: commerce on the ground floor and dwellings on the other two floors.
Rocks from shallow reefs similar to the tezontle were used on its façade, and an elaborated woodwork was accomplished as can be appreciated on its doors, windows and balconies.
Patio Vergara was refurbished in 1987 in order to have its rooms house the valuable documents of the Historic Archives and Library of the City, an institution that was established on June the 24th of 1988.
It is located on Landero and Cos Avenues, crossing with Esteban Morales Street.
-Agustin Lara Museum:
It is also known as the Little
White House and it was the home of the renowned composer and poet
Agustin Lara, one of the most popular artists in the country in
the 1940s and 50s. He was born in Mexico City though the nicknamed
Golden Skinny always considered himself a local in Veracruz
a feeling that is clearly reflected in his compositions. Paintings,
photographs and personal objects of this famous character are exhibited
in the Museum. It is
located on Adolfo Ruiz Cortines, corner with Avila Camacho Boulevard, in Boca del Rio.
-Boca del Rio:
A picturesque Town of fishermen,
famous due to its gastronomic delicatessens based on seafood and
to its splendid beaches. Its origins date back to the V and XI centuries,
when Totonaca and Olmeca groups, who were displaced by the Mexicas
in the mid XV century, populated the zone. They would name it Tlapaquitán
or Broken Land.
The first Spanish expedition to set foot on these lands in 1518 was led by Juan de Grijalva, who would name it Rio de Bandera. Years later the name would change to Boca del Rio for being very close to the mouth of the Jamapa River.
The Town has an efficient tourist infrastructure with modern hotels
and shopping malls. It is 10 kilometres away from Veracruz
although it seems to be part of the City due to the urban growth
that devours distances.