Restored between 1936 and 1940, the palatial seat has walls of quarry
pink stones and exhibits the cote de arms of four colonial cities
, Córdoba and Orizaba) on its
lateral western façade. Once in the inside its two patios with midpoint
archways and columns dazzle, as well as a fountain pierced with
estípite pillars (this detail appears on one of the columns alone).
It is located between Zaragoza and Leandro Valle Streets.
-Metropolitan Cathedral of Xalapa:
of this urban treasure begins in 1741, when a wooden temple that
years later would collapse was built. It was rebuilt in 1773 but
this time the works would be a little more ambitious. The new house
of God would impress the locals for its stylised gothic façade,
its two-body portal and its coral window with ogival arches.
However, beyond its architectonic brag, there was a detail that rattled the curiosity of the believers and the non believers alike: the unfinished belfry, which came to a standstill for strange reasons that have not been totally revealed so far; though there are those who believe that a series of underground tunnels impeded its conclusion, because the excessive weight would not be supported by the perforated terrain.
The beautiful temple, named Cathedral in 1864, houses the image
of the Lady of the Immaculate Conception, patron of Xalapa
Walking on its interior is a pleasant tour along the aisles of faith
that lead to the overloaded gothic altar, and allow the appreciation
of its carved chorus stalls, besides several religious canvases,
born of the inspiration of the famous artist from Oaxaca, Miguel
Cabrera. There is also a museum dedicated to the Bishop of Veracruz,
Rafael Guízar y Valencia (1877-1937), blessed by Pope John Paul
the 2nd on January the 29th of 1995, and whose canonisation process
is underway, within the Cathedral's compound.
It is located on the crossing of Revolución and Juan de la Cruz Enriquez Streets.
-Old Streets and Alleyways:
There are streets and
alleyways of colonial aspect subsisting in the centre of Xalapa
They are little pieces of yesterday, spaces of silent nostalgia,
with houses simply cosy, with red roof tiles and colourful flowers
that configure part of a past that wont go away, that resists the
brunt of time and that wont bend before the modernising threats
of a globalised future.
If you wish to listen to old stories and legends do not fail to
visit the following alleyways in Xalapa
- May Jesus Shelter You Alleyway (Callejón Jesús Te
Ampare): It is said that a Spanish matrimony and their daughter,
an attractive young lady who was in love with a trader called
Cosme Taboada, lived in here. One night, when the pretender
was saying goodbye to his muse at the foot of the window, a
drunkard stabbed him on the back. The young lady, before such
dramatic scene, could only scream: "Cosme, may Jesus shelter
you!" And since then the Alleyway is known with this name.
It is located on Xalapeños Ilustres Street, almost before the
Church of San José.
- Diamond's Alleyway (Callejón del Diamante): Its
name is related to the tragic ending of a wealthy couple of
Spanish spouses. This story with rivets of legend has that the
husband, when he was a bachelor about to engage, he gave his
fiancé a ring with a rare black diamond that, according to those
time's believes, was good to fortify the love and, by the way,
reveal infidelities. In certain occasion and while her husband
was away on a trip, the woman decided to pay a visit to her
husband's partner with non-sancta intentions. After consummating
the treachery the lady went back home, unaware that she had
left her ring behind on the bedside table of her occasional
When her husband came back decided to first visit his friend,
discovering the ring. Outraged though keeping the appearances,
he went home and approached his wife, whom he saluted with a
kiss on her hand, hence confirming his fears. Hurt and in despair,
with a broken heart and wrath blinded, he stabbed his wife.
Before running away he threw the jewel over the cadaver.
That is how the name of the Alleyway was originated; it is located
between Enriquez and Juarez Streets, a block away from Juarez